Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Coffee Flavored Coffee...


Coffee tastes so good when you haven't had any for two days. I ran out of my regular coffee a couple of weeks ago. At home, my coffee is almost always Sumatra; it's wonderfully rich and bold, and is never bitter. My ground coffee comes (almost) exclusively from Michelle's, in "historic downtown Sioux Falls". The only time that I brew something other than Sumatra is when Michelle's is out of Sumatra (and I'm desperate), or if someone generously left a bag of something else at my house and I've had to pull it out of my Emergency Back-up Stash. Well, the past two weeks were Emergency Mode around here. In fact, over the weekend I even depleted my Emergency Stash.

Saturday morning I trekked with Zöe to Caribou Coffee, since they're the closest coffee shop to my home. I've been to Caribou several times, and I have to say that the only time that I've liked what I got there was when they happened to have Sumatra brewed. I didn't particularly care for what I got on Saturday. Consequently, on Sunday Zöe and I trekked the other direction, to Starbucks (Michelle's is closed on Sunday). Not only did I get a better cup of joe, I also got a pumpkin scone - and they are delicious!

I've figured for some time that it's good to detox from our vices on occasion. Sometimes when I brush my teeth I'll see an absolutely brown tongue in the face looking back at me. On top of being a nasty color for a tongue, my entire esophagus probably looks the same. ince I was out of coffee, and out of money, I decided that it would be good for me to go without coffee for a few days. I made it to Monday night, at which point it was time for creative economics. I grabbed my lovely Zöe's leash, she went nuts (as she always does when it's time for a walk), and we both trekked past Starbuck's and on down to Michelle's to buy a pound of Sumatra. Today, I am a happy woman.

P.S. - I can not write about coffee ever, to any degree, without thinking of Denis Leary's stand-up routine about coffee. You can check it out on YouTube here. It will be the best 8 minutes of your day...if you're a coffee snob deserving of the title.

2 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmm, coffee.....
    Glad I am not the only one that doesn't love caribou coffee! I am currently addicted to Dunkin' Donuts Decaf, had to drink it while I was Pregnant & just keep going back to it!

    ReplyDelete

You're welcome to 'leave a note' and let me know you dropped by for a visit!